View Single Post
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Patriots View Post
I have never tried the hanging method...How do you like it?
I'll find out in an hour or two. This is the first time I'm trying out hanging meat. When I checked, the meat was pulling back on the bones but did not pass the bend test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Portagee View Post
Imagination at work. I'm thinking the lower parts would cook hotter. Maybe the water bowl wrapped in foil would help disperse direct heat. look forward to see your results.
My thoughts too. I hung the ribs with the thicker parts down. Maybe not the best choice though. When I opend the cooker at about 2 hours I found that one rack had separated and left about 2/3 of the rack laying on the lit coals. Next time I'll either provide a lower grate or additional support to the hanging meat. I left the bowl out this time because I was attempting to duplicate the conditions that are produced in the PBC.

With all the rave reviews of the PBC I decided to try to duplicate the method on one of my WSMs. The one thing I wanted to do was to take advantage of the space in the dome lid since the mid section itself is probably shorter than the PBC. I thought of a number of schemes to do this, most of which would have made Rube Goldberg proud. Then it occurred to me that a piece of 3/8" rebar bent to the right angles and slotted at the ends should be fairly secure on the tabs that would otherwise support the top grate. I had intended to make two of those and notch them in the middle to provide additional support. The bends give me about 7" of additional head space and sit about 24" above the charcoal ring.

Today I found baby back ribs at Sam's that were marked down because they were approaching their sell by date. I grabbed a package of three to use for the first test of my contraption. When I finished the the first piece I found it fit securely enough to use for the initial trial run and proceeded to prepare cooker and meat.

Time will tell. They're not ready yet. I brought the rack in that had fallen in the fire but that's hardly a fair piece to judge by. (And surprisingly, they don't seem to be done either.) I'm riunning the WSM with one bottom vent open which produces a temperature of a little over 300F