Unread 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #32
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyshooter View Post
Question and Request:
Built (building) first UDS: second on the way when this one complete. Just cooked pork butt and it came out great, but had to mess with intake quite a bit.
There are 3 3/4" intakes; 2 with caps one with ball valve. The exhaust is a 1 1/2 metal stack. Got it going with minion method and closed all intakes but 100% on ball valve. When I got home 8 hours later internal (Maverick) smoker temp was 175 F and meat was 150F. This has occurred every time I close off with caps and leave ball valve open 100%. Played with intakes (cap on / off) and it is touchy. The unit is air tight when everything is closed and vent stack is closed.
My thought, but let me know if I am wrong; the 1 1/2" exhaust is causing problem.
Love the way it cooks but cannot get it to hover at 225 like you guys.
Thanks
Sory that everybody missed the obvious answer...

Drums have a sweet spot temp wise that they like to run. You can run at any temp you'd like but you have to find its sweet spot to make it fiddle proof.
I find with 1 intake fully opened and my ball valve about 25% open my drums will settle in about 238*. Dont force 225 or 250, let it run where she's happy!

I've been using 2" PVC exhausts about 8" long with a 30* angle cut on top since the beginning of (drum) time. It works.
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote