So let me get this straight.
1. The set up was easy.
2. Getting the coals lit and meat put on was easy.
3. You got to monitor your temps without openign the lid - Easy.
4. You knew when to wrap/place on grate - Easy.
5. You knew when it was doen because it probed nicely - Easy.
6. You had a shorter time than normal for cooker a whole packer - Easy.
7. You got a good brisket out of it - Easy.
So now you want to start adjusting things....why???? Sometime we over think things to make them the way "it should be". Go with the flow of the cooker as long as it is putting out good Q.
Picking it up and throwing it down on a Backyard Bomber MJH....