Unread 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
How much for one for an 18"?
This one cost me $0.00 to make, My best guess if someone wanted to make and sell these 1 piece they would probably run about $90.00 each for flame cut. I can measure my 18" when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Very cool. Glad it worked for you.

I'm curious where you placed you're Guru probe and were measuring temperature? Also, I'm curious if you really think you need the Guru for a short cook like this.

I haven't decided yet whether the meat hanging produces better results than just say laying the chicken halves flat over direct heat at higher temps. There is a part of me that thinks there is something to hanging, and a part of me that thinks that's crazy.... I'll eventually get around to testing this side by side.
I clipped the temp probe directly to the WSM lid therm probe, that way the temp was a true temp at the lid. The Guru is probably overkill on a short cook but it sure was nice not to have to monitor the temp plus I put the meat probe in the smallest chicken halve (set to 160*) so I would have an idea when they were getting close. The Guru also allowed me to use the minion method with only about 25 lit coals spread over the entire surface area of my charcoal basket as opposed to having to light more briqs. It was up to 300* with clean blue in about 30 minutes. Next time I'm going to try it at 325 to see if I can get a little better skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
[@will work for bbq: I apologize for going off on a tangent, but your mod got the ol creaky wheels turning!)
No worries, I love the brain storming it helps to spur other ideas.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man
Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->