View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm not a fan of Kamados, and as you can tell from my sig, I have one. I've cooked low and slow on them, and I think if you must have a multi-tasker they fit the bill, but usually at quite a premium, and for not a lot of cooking space. Historically I've recommended that people get a WSM over a Kamado for space, and a Kettle for grilling. There's also the option of the Cajun Bandit and Smoke EZ which allow you to convert a kettle into a smoker. You also have options at that point for a rotisserie, etc. Smoke EZ even has a 26" version!

The Acorn brings things to a new level since it is more affordable, but still, I would ask yourself if it's better than a Gas Assist Performer + Smoke EZ. I haven't used one so can't comment specifically, but it's in that range.

Traegers are easy to use too, I have one, though it's not in my sig. Something to consider would be to get a larger Traeger and mod it to do what you want. You can upgrade the controller and maybe the motor, and you can get it really hot and sear. You can also augment the smoke flavour with a smoke gun, etc. All of that is fun to use at home and legal for comps. There's no reason why you can't have both, but personally, I would go either the Modified Traeger or Modified Kettle route. In the end it's a personal decision, and you'll do what you think is best that you can afford.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote