Thread: Recipe request
View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think this would be simple enough.

I use the Quick Grits most of the time now. Not the instant but the 5 minute.

First I cook about 6 strips of thick cut bacon with fresh cracked pepper. I cook it in the oven on a broiler pan about 375 until crisp then I hold on paper towels. You can fry if you want but I like the way the fat renders when I cook it in the oven.

I mix the grits by the package instructions but use chicken stock instead of water. I bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the grits with a little garlic salt. I bring back to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and put the top on the pot. I have added roasted tomatoes chopped up or half a small jar of roasted pimentos (drained). I don’t have an exact amount I just eyeball. After 5 min I add processed cheddar to the color looks good. Before I serve I put a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and the crumbled bacon in the pot and stir it until mixed. Be careful and not let the grits dry out and get hard. You can take it off of the heat and let it sit for several minutes or just add chicken stock as needed. Sometimes people also add cream.

For the shrimp – I take about 25-30 large gulf shrimp – shelled and deveined. I coat them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle a light coating of Old Bay seasoning and fresh cracked pepper. (I have often used my BBQ rub too). I put them on skewers and on a medium hot grill for about 4 min. I flip them over and coat with my special sauce and grill for another 4 min. I then flip put another coat of sauce on then take off after a few minutes.

It is important to not “over cook” the shrimp – take until just opaque. The biggest way to screw shrimp up is to overcook it.

Special Sauce: 3 Tlb mayo, 2 Tlb scallions chopped fine, 11/2 Tlb Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, ½ teaspoon Shirachia. I suggest to mix this a day ahead to let the flavors meld.

I serve in a bowl with a lip and 2 skewers of shrimp with 5-6 on each.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->