I am new to the forum, so hello everyone. As I was researching some mods for the NBBD I picked up last week, I noticed a large number of threads coming from this site, so I thought I would join and also share some photos of my project smoker. I incorporated the smokestack, charcoal basket, baffle and diffuser/convection plate mods to the smoker. I completely took the smoker apart, sanded, painted, replaced all hardware and wood. I plan to season the smoker later this week.
Anyway, enough of my yammering and here are the photos.
diffuser plate and smokestack mod.JPG
My total came to $100 plus 20 hours of labor. The hardest part was drilling all the holes in the plate. They start at 1/2" and go to 1". I figure that I can use 1" strips of steel to close off areas of the plate if I get hot spots. The baffle snugs up nicely on the plate and I cut it so there would be no heat and smoke leaking from the sides like some designs that I have seen.