View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
I read the manual about as deeply as you read my post

I didn't let the charcoal ignite enough before I closed the lid. This is why it took that long to get to 80 degrees. My mistake.

When I realized what happened and did ignite the coal, the temp ramped up to 600 very quickly. I did pull the temp down enough to make sure I did not go past the manufacturer suggested limit of 700 degrees as I knew by this point the dome thermometer was approximately 80 degrees off, but when seasoning a grill I'm going to put as much heat as possible to burn in the oil. I don't need a manual to tell me how to 'season' a grill, so I am comfortable with skipping this section.

Sorry, was so busy with the new toy, never received your invite request

I am happy with the purchase and plan on adding a kettle to my arsenal in the near future

My wood smoked pretty good. I did load 2 splits in it. they were not there when I finished cooking. They were replaced by two new pieces of charcoal. beautiful red smoke ring and great flavor in the pork. I did heed this advice and tried to stay in the higher temperature range until the meat got above 140. BBQ guru? where's the fun in those? LOL, I don't even think i need one for the Akorn
You don't. Bottom vent at 1.... top vent at .75 = 250-265 all day. I've smoked in gusting winds (25mph+) light rain, and ambient temps in the single digits. No temp controller needed. Gotta love an insulated smoker.

Enjoy it. I bought mine almost two years ago, absolutely love it. Winter, and Summer. No gasser needed. Lump is ready to cook with in minutes. Takes me longer to get the meat ready and crack a beer open.