View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
So last night I was just experimenting with the vault and came across something. I love using it with charcoal and wood chunks cooked dry. So last night I wanted to see what it would do if I filled the water pan with 5 gal of water. I opened all the vents and let er rip. the whole vault top to bottom was 218 with a roaring fire for around 6 hrs and it went dry and ran out of fuel. I know water is a governor in these things it really is, Becaise that would have been a 450+ fire that I built. I was wandering if anyone operated it as a stick burner adding a large stick about every hr to keep a nice fire in there. Charcoal doesn't have the btu's of a peice of post or live oak perfectly aged. At first when I was running it with water at night I thought I had crazy white bitter smoke goin, but I didn't and it soon evaporated after the exhaust pipe. Might have to try some experiments tonight on some cheap chicken. Got plenty of post oak and pecan to burn
So Justin, get your initial / warming fire going with lump, then add a split.

Keep it dry, with an aluminum pan of water on stand by. If it starts running up too high, just set the pan into your water pan this will calm it down.

The firebox is big enough to do both and it's advertised as a wood or charcoal smoker.

@smokeass - there is no comparison between the vault and the safe.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote