View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniesdad View Post
I am not a kamado/ceramic owner so pardon my ignorance, but how available are aftermarket items for this cooker. Can you buy stuff made for Green Egg or KJ and use it on the Bayou Classic. I am thinking about stuff like the daisy wheel top and some of the other things that people add on. Also, what about replacing the little gasket eventually?

I was oogling over one at Lowes myself recently and was pretty impressed. Just wondering if it makes more sense to go with a BGE or KJ over the long haul. Would love to hear the collective wisdom of the brethren on this aspect.

I went with the Akorn for $299 as an intro to kamado cooking. I looked at the other BGE knock offs, but decided to try the Akorn first for a year or so.....see how I like this style of cooking and then make further decisions.

After almost a year with the Akorn, I can say with absolute certainty that kamado grills will be all I care to use for a long, long time. I'm sold on them. Efficient, versatility to do 18 hr 225 smokes or 600 degree ribeyes, quick to light, quick to snuff out, reusable lump, low ash, bake with oven-like precision and very low maintenance.

I'll be keeping my Akorn for portability when I want to travel with it, but getting an XL BGE in the near future ( lifetime warranty on parts, huge user base-tech support, longevity of service life, huge cooking surface and etc).

Just my opinion, but if I'm spending close to that kind of money, I'd rather go with a product-manf. that I'm sure will be around for as long as my grill is.