Originally Posted by juslearning
Looks great!! But how did it taste? I also love chowder but have not made it.
I thought it tasted pretty dang good. I have never been to New England so the only thing I have to compare it against is the stuff at a few restaurants and Campbells. It sure beat the heck out of either one of those. I will definitely be making it again.
Here is what I did if anyone wants to try it
3 - 10 Ounce cans of whole clams
8 Pieces of bacon
3 Medium potatoes, cut in about ˝ pieces
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 C half and half
2 TBsp of chopped garlic (I used the garlic in a jar)
2 Tsp Thyme
1 Bay leaf
3 TBsp Butter
3 TBsp flour
5-6 shakes of Franks Red Hot
2-3 shakes of Worcestershire
· Drain the clams, reserving the juice (should be about 2 cups of juice).
· Cut up bacon and sauté for a few minutes until the bacon begins to render.
· Add the Onion, Butter, Garlic, Thyme, Bay Leaf and some Salt and Pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
· Add Flour and stir for 2-3 minutes
· Add Clam Juice and potatoes. Cook until Potatoes are almost done
- Add Half and Half, Clams, Worcestershire and Franks Red Hot. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. You can add additional Salt and Pepper if needed.