View Single Post
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Just a warning that a cheap offset in Michigan is going to mean a short BBQ season. Trying to keep those at cooking temps in cold weather is a LOT of work. I'm in Maryland and I quit using mine come late October. Just something to consider.
+1!!! Think of tending a coal furnace, one that loses heat pretty much as soon as you turn your back on it. My offset hasn't been used but once in a pinch in the last two years, and it was terrible to cook with. And mine is made from a welded drum not bolted together like the Home Dee pot ones. Cheapos=leakos without excessive mods and even then are difficult to hold heat because the metal is thin and chinsy. But hey if you want something you have to mess with it'll be right up your alley! Just saying the noveltiy quickly wears off when you can't get consistency with your cooks.

Honestly I'm thinking of selling mine, and I probably will never go back to any offset unless it was made from 1/4" thick steel, and well made at that.