View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
As stated earlier, the lethality of salmonella is a function of both temperature and time. This has been mentioned various times. Here is an old post by Knucklhed:

145 10.7 min 11.9 min

If you're cooking the chicken at fairly low temps, then you're probably not going to need to be resting that chicken very long. This definitely supports Harry Soo's chicken. It also suggests very strongly that most salmonella problems are due to cross-contamination, rather than cooking temps.

As Landarc mentions, the high cooking temperatures required for chicken are regional. They are the result of our high throughput chicken processing. In many other countries, chicken is cooked rare to medium rare. Bob mentions Asian countries, but it is also true of Slavic countries.
Thanks, Gore... i was looking for that.

Actually, it goes against what harry says. He says in the comments at the BBQ Central site this...

Quote:
Just a clarification: When you hold, you have to hold it at 145 degrees. Holding does not mean you let it cool down for 5 minutes. I am more risk adverse so I hold it at 145 degrees for a full 10 minutes which is double the Juneja 2007 Study recommended time.
Based on the chart that Knucklhed posted, the recommended time at 145 is 10.7 minutes.

But again, let's assume that chicken from a reliable, clean source is safe at that temp, and we as cooks are able to buy from a source like that. I still question the texture.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->