View Single Post
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hey Bobby, I am not Bubba, but, I have some input.

The vertical hanging ovens that are often used in Chinatown are preferred for roasting, as the heat and smoke move along the meat lengthwise, this allows for the convection type of heat to act on the meat. This increases the evaporation of moisture from the surface of the meat. Thus, you get a better surface texture. There is also more even cooking.

Western cooks often believe this allows for self-basting of the meat, this really makes little sense, but, in a vertical oven, you can baste more effectively. When I use to watch the Chinese cooks, with their ducks and roast pork, they would have some poor soul hold a large bowl under the meat, then they would baste by pouring the liquid over the meat. This is partially how they achieve that perfect lacquered look.

A rotisserie rack moves the meat through a heat column, effectively creating a similar convection current of hot air to act on the meat. This eliminates the effect of hot spots on the meat. It also prevents, or decreases the likelihood of scorching on meat, as it moves through both hot and cold areas, the exposure to radiant heat is less focused.
I can see that. Good points. So, if we then looked at cooking the same chicken half (just as an example) on a stationary flat grate in either a UDS, Egg, or any other cooker, how would we classify the process going on there? There is no movement through the heat column. You could baste via pouring. I think we can say that self basting is still taking place, just for the sake of not getting into a fat up/down self basting convo and side track the thead.

I think we have seen that there is something to be said about the surface texture and more even cooking byt what folks are saying about the PBC.

I can say that now with more folks purchasing the PBC, we are seeing that the results are consistent and that people are getting the same consistent results. As they experiement more with things like briskets and butts, etc, we will get more info in those areas too. Looking at the pics of the set up, I think a butt or a brisket could be done with the use of multiple hooks in the meat.

I think it's just a matter of time before someone tries it.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote