View Single Post
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Where I tend to get hard on myself is when I try something and it doesn’t turn out the way I want the taste becomes secondary to me. I get good comments and empty plates but I focus on what I messed up or what I could do better.
Another thing I noticed is when I cook competition style – like a test at home – people fill up quickly because the BBQ is so rich. I notice that my daughter can put away almost a whole rack of ribs when I cook them plain with rub and sauce but when I throw the brown sugar, honey – wrap etc. she can only eat 3 or 4 bones before she gets full.
One last comment was from this weekend. We traveled to Memphis and got a chance to eat a Neely’s Interstate BBQ. It has a big following and the parking lot was full at 11:15 am. They had reviews posted on the wall and pictures of celebrities who ate there. People were scarfing it down and we ordered the sample platter to try everything. When it came I can’t tell you how it tasted because it was drowned in sauce. The sauce was good but I did not need a gallon and I could not tell you what the meat tasted like. When I looked over the restaurant every dish was like that. IMO when you use that much sauce you are hiding something.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->