Thread: Smoker vs. Oven
View Single Post
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I know a lot of people are going to shudder at this, but appropriate use of liquid smoke in an oven can give you a decent approximation of a truly smoked meat.

Take for example a bone-in pork butt:
Preheat your oven to 250.
Prep the butt the same way you would for your smoker.
Place the butt in a rack inside a roasting pan with about half an inch of liquid (I mix about 1 part bourbon and 4 parts water but you can use beer or whatever else you like) and about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of liquid smoke (depending on how big the roasting pan is - it's a bit of hit and miss until you get it down) and cover loosely with foil.
Roast for about 45 minutes per pound basting with the liquid about every 30 to 40 minutes.
The pork is done when you can pull the shoulder blade out with little or no resistance (about six to eight hours for a standard sized butt).

Pull the blade bone out, remove the roasting rack and the shred the pork in the roasting pan, mixing the drippings in with the meat as you do so.

At this point, you can also mix in some extra rub for seasoning or your favorite BBQ sauce too. I like a S. Carolina Mustard-based sauce, but whatever you like - even no sauce at all if you're a purist - is the way to go.

Again, not a truly smoked butt, but it will still give you a really good product and will feed you and your buddies for a week. :)
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote