View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
This is fine and all but says nothing about a "standard" amount of meat thickness on the bacon side.They didn't get the name SPARE ribs for nothing.Until recently there wasn't a huge demand for them.Any meat left on while removing them makes the bacon thinner.It seems like the OP is implying that the meat cutter doesn't know what they are doing.I see nothing wrong with the ribs he got.If you want meaty ribs then get the whole belly and cut it yourself or tell them you want meaty ribs and prepare to pay accordingly.
Well, with no disrespect intended, his ribs look like shiner city to me....

The NAMP standards describe what should be trimmed away,..and in some cases describe what the particular finished cut should look like.... so in theory, what is left is always dependent on what you start with. The goal is consistent cuts of meat, or getting what you ask for.

I cut this St Louis rack down from a very generous slab of spares. I refer to skilled knife work resulting in generous cuts as a "proud cut". (The term loosely refers to some left-over meat, but in a slightly different meaning. )

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote