View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Yeah, they were butchered alright ... And yes, they need some practice with the knife.

There are two schools of thought here, one is custom butchering, the other is standard practice. Your basic ribs fall under standard practice. The bad thing is, many butchers these days use a box cutter as much as a knife or saw because most of their meat comes in already broken down into primal cuts.... in other words not every meat cutter starts with a carcass like the AG department does.

You can get some good experience by hanging around a custom butcher, and in Idaho, I'll bet during hunting season there are processors that hire extra help. Working on elk and deer will give you plenty of experience with working with a carcass (although wild game ribs are pretty skimpy).

The NAMP Meat Buyers Guide is the industry standard that meat cutters should follow, it covers all meats and has descriptions of each cut and many diagrams. However.... I know many meat cutters that only looked at it when they were in school, and others that need to read it again. Here is a sample of what kind of information is available.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->