View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
eggzlot
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

lots of options.
As an Egg owner, I love mine, but here are pros and cons based on your write up and how you plan on using the egg....

pros:
- can hold the temps like a champ in hot weather, cold weather, etc
- can also use it as a grill, pizza oven, etc

cons:
- transportation to comps is not easy - teams do it, but an Egg is ceramic and you run the risk of cracking it, takes a while to cool down before you can load it to go home, etc
- even with the biggest egg - XL, could not see doing a 4 meat/KCBS style contest on just one Egg, so you'd have to get at least 2. space/weight/capacity is just not super ideal if you ask me if you need 2+ eggs.

If you wanted to do comps, you have to think how are you going to transport your smoker to the event? open or enclosed trailer? back of a pick up truck or SUV, etc?

For just home cooking, my XL is a champ. with some tools from the ceramic grill store I can do 6-9 racks of ribs laying flat, I can do multiple butts and briskets in a breeze. I can make some nice large pizzas, I can do a huge quantity of wings or burgers for parties. It's really fantastic.

Luckily, the person I compete with has a Lang we take to contests, but ironically, he owns multiple Eggs and I own eggs, yet we dont use them at competitions due to transportation issues.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->