View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
smolderingbbq
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Smoke House Moe,
Last year I started doing some marketing with business cards, networking & facebook. I cooked my bbq and sauce for all of my friends and family and they loved it, said they couldn't find good barbecue like mine around our town anywhere. So, I did some road side bbq stands during the summer holidays, got a few repeat customers and did pretty well with that, on the first day I think I had $1000 in sales. One day while talking with a coworker she informed me that her mother needed a caterer for 100 people we emailed back and forth for a couple weeks. I ended up with the opportunity to give samples to her mother and she told me that she had grown up around competition bbq (I was nervous) and she knew what she was looking for. She sampled my bbq along with several well know bbq restaurants in the area and she and her entire staff loved min and picked me, they also thought my prices were great and competitive (due to low over head). I got the gig, offered to help serve and everyone loved it. So, in the last 4 months she has hired me once a month for different types of gigs...luncheons, Christmas party etc. At the luncheon when she mentioned who catered the event the 45 plus guests of doctors and nurses applauded. After that I got another luncheon off of that luncheon and people were saying it was better than arguably the best bbq joint in the next county over. I decided that I really was on to something, had formed a great relationship with my first customer and could see this being something that I can really pursue and excel at.
Now I am trying to get to the next level but this month has been very slow...I am looking forward to the spring and have a couple of bigger parties, two weddings in April and then in May and I will also compete in my first Q competition in March. Just kinda bummed right now.
Thanks for all the support from everyone!

Blake
smolderingbbq is offline   Reply With Quote