German Rouladens - Beef
This is the full recipe for the German Rouladens that I make ( my Grandma's recipe ).
The original recipe is made in the oven ( very good ), the changes I do for smoking are listed at the bottom of the recipe.
Tweak the recipe to make it your own or use as is. Enjoy.
1 1/2 lbs --- beef flank steak or round steak
6 --- slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup --- chopped onion
1/3 cup --- chopped dill pickles
1/4 cup --- flour
2 cups --- beef broth, canned or homemade
German spicy mustard ( stone ground )or Dijon mustard, will do
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. With meat mallet flatten meat to about a 8" x 10" rectangle ( roughly 1/4" thick )
2. Salt and pepper flattened meat (inside side ), then slather with mustard.
3. In large skillet on medium high heat, cook bacon til bacon is crisp,
4. remove bacon to drain, and cook onions in the bacon grease til they just
5. start to brown, remove to cool slightly
6. Pour off bacon grease reserving 1/4 cup in skillet.
7. Crumble bacon and mix with the onions. Spread bacon and onion mixture over meat.
8. Sprinkle pickle on top of onion and bacon mix.
9. Roll up meat from short end and secure with string, then season with
10. outside of roll with salt and cracked black pepper
11. Place meat roll in skillet over medium high heat in reserved bacon fat
12. and lightly brown on all sides.
13. Remove roll to 13x9 baking dish.
14. Stir flour into fat in skillet and blend until smooth, gradually
15. stirring in beef broth, and cook and stir over medium heat until slightly
17. Pour sauce over beef roll.
18. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for around 1 1/2 hours or until done.
19. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
20. Skim fat from sauce, strain and serve with meat.
I do everything the same right up to browning the meat (you can brown the meat if you like ), then I put the rolls in the smoker to cook.
After they have been in the smoker for about 30 --45 minutes, wrap them in foil and return to smoker to finish cooking
When done, let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve with earlier made sauce ( heated ), pour over the sliced roll when serving