View Single Post
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hey Kevin,

Although our team did terrible, we had a great time. I thought you all did a real fine job and if it were a different date, we would compete again in a second.

I do think part of the appeal was its location and ties to the festival. Have you thought about where you plan on hosting the new contest? This could very well impact public attendance, which may in turn impact your sponsorships, vendor booth sales and the kinds of income generating revenues that will help raise much needed cash - which you will need if it is to be a stand alone contest.

Not saying you are, but you should not rely solely on application fees to run it. Be careful with overhead - like insurance, security, waste management, outhouses, wash stations, electric, permitting fees, etc. These things are gonna cut into your income and unless you have an alternative source to application fees, it could make or break it.

As a stand alone contest - we've run a pretty successful event. We started as a small block party and have grown steady both qualitatively and quantitatively each year. Location is a major component to our success. Also having a dedicated, reliable committee is key. Slow and steady wins the race here.

I am more than willing to talk with you and help. Just let me know via PM.

Tom

Last edited by Pig Daddy; 01-19-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote