Originally Posted by viggysmalls
Based on this article, to achieve optimal tenderness we should:
1. get the chicken to 140 internal temp ASAP
2. then lengthen out your cook as you go from 140 to final temp
Is that correct?
I did a couple turkeys over the holidays following Alton Brown's recommendation.
- Half an hour at 500º (Breast was about 90º)
- Tent the breast and reduce to 350º (Breast hit 140º an hour later.)
- remove and rest when the breast hits 161º (2:18 from meat on Weber.)
This was an 18 lb bird.
It seemed to produce good results. One bird was brined and the other was factory injected (Butterball.)