View Single Post
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I'm kinda surpised the hotter cooked/higher IT bacon came out better. I'm glad it did though, 'cause that's how I do it.
Me too! I was real surprised with the amount of fat that rendered out we I fried it. So good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Nice comparison.I would have bet a dollar that the cold smoked would have left the others in the dust. Guess ya never know til ya try em all.
Surprised the heck out of me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Question......????? Your post shows the shrinkage from hot,to med,to cold. Left to right.I understand the hot smoked slab being smaller,than the medium, then the cold smoked remaining full sized.However the cooked pics are opposite of that,it shows the hot smoked slices much bigger than the cold smoked piece if they are in fact in the same position after smoking?Please explain.Maybe the cold smoked rendered that much more,just wondering. I am guessing the cold smoked is on the left and the hot smoked is on the right in the sliced pic.???
The smaller and darker piece(on left) is the hot smoked. It did not shrink as much as pictured, it was trimmed up a bit before smoking. Also, I was able to slice up the hot smoked slab whole, but had to cut the med and cold smoked slabs in half to slice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I do not understand. I always dry cure in refrigerator but you are suggesting 10days at around 140f. From my limited experience in long term cooking sous vide it would be cooked 5 times over in the curing process!!! Definitely confuses me.
OOPS! Thanks for catching that. It was 38-41F for ten days.

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->