View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default We're In The Bacon!

I've noticed that a lot of folks are smoking their bacon off at a smoker temp of 200 F, and the product to an IT of 150F. I wondered why since the bacon was going to be fried, so I avoided this method. I usually smoke at lower temps and pull at 127 F, or cold smoke. This weekend I had to see for myself. Took a belly, cut into thirds, skinned, and dry cured for ten days at 138F-141F(cure #1, K salt, brown sugar, and a sprinkle of maple sugar).

Did a four hour soak, changing water once prior to smoking.

Cold smoked for eight hours, apple. Temps were 73F-80F for the first six hours, and gradually gradually rose to 90F.

Belly #2 was smoked in the Pro Q Stacker, using a snake minion, and Australian pine chunks. I was shooting for 130F smoker temp. Didn't happen. It ran between 145F and 150F. (All intake dampers closed!)

Six hours later

Pulled at 127F

The subject belly was smoked in the UDS at 175F-212F to an IT of 150F(Australian pine chunks). Pulled in Three hours!

Said trio of porky goodness. From the left, 150F, 127F. and cold smoked.

The acid test!

The higher temp bacon sliced easily after chilled, the other two needed to be thrown into the freezer a bit to firm up in order to slice.
They were all KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!, But the unanimous favorite was the hot smoked bacon. Dang, all these years wasted. AND done in only three hours.The pieces weighed about 3 1/2 lbs.
We're in the bacon. Thanks for lookin!

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->