View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
I just happened to check that over the weekend, started with a 6.10# slab of spares and cut them down to St. Louis's, finished weight was just slightly over 3#'s. so 50% would be a good ball park number.

I just did that this weekend too. Spares at Cash&Carry were 1.82/lb, St Louies were $2.78/lb. Out of a 14 pound three pack I got 7 lbs of tips and flap.Thats 50%. The BBs were an even better deal but I had my heart set on spares.

Unlike some, I dont mind the cartlidge and love the flavor of the tips. I also ussually fry up the flap for breakfast right after I break them down. And to be fair, precuts ussually still have some flap attatched and sometimes a bit of the tips(they tend to weigh more in the pack than when I trim them)

So I do it both ways. When Im ambitious I get spares but if Im just looking for ribs and Im serving to guests I go for the pre-cuts. If the cost of the St Louies were the only factor then buying precut is the better deal most of the time.