View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
bmock
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Yep, probing is the best way. I can honestly say 'feels like butter' is something I've never experienced, and I suspect one that tender might fall apart coming off the pit.... So, the description I use is "as tender as a baked potato that is almost done". You will feel a little resistance going in and coming back out too. I start probing around 190., and use a fat probe like an ice pick or a small diamether wooden chopstick. Many of mine are over 205 before they are right. I still overcook one on occasion. Excuse the white balance on this indoor shot on a red cutting board... but you can see how thick I had to slice this one to keep it together

I recently cooked my first whole choice packer brisket. I have a question in regards to probing. Should the whole piece of meat probe this way? If memory serves me right it seemed like the point was probing like butter before the flat.

And when I pulled the brisket there were still parts of the flat that were not like butter and parts that were. So I pulled it anyways in fear of over cooking...

Does my question make any sense?
THanks
bmock is offline   Reply With Quote