Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
I do not quite understand you.
Do you want an USD or an offset.
My goal is to make a smoker with a 55 gallon drum, aka an Ugly Drum. If I make it in the traditional way with it sitting vertically

reaching the third grill will be difficult, I was thinking about using the charcoal basket most people make and just using it as a grill since it has walls and a handle

Doing it this way the third grill will have to be smaller and also it will sit quite a bit lower than the first two grills which means I would have varying temps inside my smoker which isnt ideal. I can fix this by stacking fire bricks on the bottom and sitting the basket on the bricks to give it height.

Mounting the gravity fed smoker on a curved surface looked like it would be a challenge, perhaps you could think of a simple solution for mounting it on the drums curved surface?

I was thinking about using magnets but then realized they dont stick to stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
By the way do you think that it is needed or not to add lining of ceramic plate around inner wall of an USD. Say I can make the "arc shape" ceramic plate. 4 or 6 arcs form a round of 22.5". Height of arc may be 10". You can add 2 to 4 round of arc.
This way you will have some kind of a Kamado
The UDS is usually thick enough to hold stable temperatures. In really windy weather most people wrap a water heater blanket over it or build a cheap 3 panel plywood wall like this:

Both solutions cost less than $50, how much would your ceramic plates cost?
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote