View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #219
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Let's be honest here. The name UGLY drum smoker is cute but essentially does not accurately describe what UDS is. It is an UPRIGHT Drum Smoker. UPRIGHT. When we describe someone what UDS.... the U really is for Upright. The word Upright, allows us to properly categorize this smoker, what makes it unique and what it is capable of doing.... which essentially its claim to fame is not that it is ugly, or easy to make, but capable of efficently cooking bbq at a VERY stable temp, over a long period of time WITH ALMOST NO INTERACTION (electronic or otherwise) between the equipment and the operator. That last thing in bold makes the UDS unique and it is tied closely to the fact it is upright.... something its horizontal counterpart cannot do. In addition, it does this in a relatively SEALED environment (by bbq standards). So the term UPRIGHT is really what makes these item tick, it gives them their wonderful cooking properties.... therefore, any smoker sharing that one trait, no matter whether you hang or not, have horseshoes or obsteric stirrups for handles, are fresh steel or made of old drums that previously held dung, none of that matters as much to the operation of these types of smokers. The beauty of the PBC is that it is an UDS UPRIGHT DRUM SMOKER, less ugly maybe, smaller and more compact, cleaner and less hassle, cheaper probably than you can make yourself with a lot less hassle.

And woe be those that try and hinge the PBC's worth on NOT being a UDS and that it is revolutionary... patent or no. No... I am not sayign ANYONE has said that. The reaosn why is because eventually all our UDS's are going to rust out and so are we. As we get older we will probably just want to buy our next version of the UDS..... we are potential customers in essense. Saying its not a UDS is just silly.
Donny,

It's funny you should describe drums this way.... in '04 or '05 I was following Rocky's posts on various forums about the BDS and was on the fence about pulling the trigger when Danny Gaulden wrote a review about them. I've always had a lot of respect for Danny and had eaten at the Dairy Queen
(sadly never getting to meet him in person) before I really knew who he was.... anyways, here is the paragraph from Danny's review that made me buy one in '06 and another one the next year. The minute Danny said "Grandpa smell" it was all over for me. You see, my Grandpaw was the one that taught me to cook in the late 60's. I called Rocky the next day and we talked for an hour or more.... he shipped one out the next day on my word that the check was in the mail.

Clip from Danny Gaulden's BDS review-

Within 15 minutes of the first cook, I knew this pit was a winner. The smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER have I achived this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call it that ol’ time “Grandpaw smell”… when many years ago men cooked meat over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was unforgetable. It was a lot of work. Not saying that some folks don’t do this today, but they are a dying breed. This pit accomplishes this ol’ time flavor with little effort due to the fact that the cooking grate is located about 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal ring which allows direct cooking over the coals, plus the well thought out design from Mr. Richmond. There’s a lot more to what he has created than just cutting a hole in the bottom and top of a barrel and calling it a good cooker.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote