View Single Post
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The Big Chief is an electric smoker, isn't it? I'm not sure that it is possible to get sweet blue smoke from an electric. The heat is provided by the electric heating element and the smoke if from sawdust, chips or chunks that smolder, but don't burn cleanly. Sweet blue is from a wood fire that is burning cleanly. More than likely when you smoke is gone it is because the wood is gone.
BINGO.... Give this man a C-gar. The fact is, just like every other cooker, there are just a few tricks and tips to running a box smoker with a hot plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalis View Post
But it takes 45 mins to get there and it doesn't even smell good. I go outside and try to smell it and it smells like a burnt shoe. What does your wood look like when you switch it out? Is it complete ash, black?
Here is what your smoke should look like from a Big Chief... you have to look close to see it.

Here is the deal.....first off, you don't load up the pan. And second, you don't switch out the ash, you just add a little more wood to the ash. Think of the pan as a little baby charcoal basket. Here is what your first pan should look like, and what is should look like when it's ready to add a little more wood.

Now, moving on to trout, or salmon or steelhead..... Man,.. I can dial you in on using a Big or Little Chief for trout.... and I'm not just blowing smoke. Here is some I did today.

Here are some more Big Chief fish pictures to whet your appetite..

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->