View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
You need to dig the base out 12" deep pack the bottom with sand to 4" lay down some wire mesh( old cattle panels work good ) fill with concrete to a deph of 6", let it set for a week. Lay down fireplace mortar and top the slab with fire brick then start up the walls two bricks wide. frame the openings with 3" angle iron an put "T" channel in around the perimeter at grate height, go up 2 more rows and add a top cap. The lid can be made from 11ga. with a counter weight system.
Thanks, bro! That's exactly what I have been looking for.

Now, I need to figure out the chimney system. Is the chimney on the end opposite the fire, spread across the top, or both?

I want to cover all the bases, if possible. To me, Scott's in SC and Smitty's in TX have nailed the old school pits. That doesn't mean that Lexington, NC hasn't, because there are some great pits there too. But, I want to build a pit that can do both styles.

So, does the Smitty's style pits have the chimney above the grate or below? Also, does the NC/SC style pits have the chimney at the end or just in the lid?

Thanks from:--->