Unread 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
That link will do nicely.
My potplant cooker cracked as well,cheers.
Titch

After cooking with the UDT for ~5years, what I think it is the heat stress/shock that can crack the pot as opposed to the temperature itself. When I first started cooking with it, I was pretty careful about bringing it up to temp gradually, over 2+ hours with a bag of lump charcoal (used to use RO initially). It reached temps of 700-800F consistently (maybe even more).

I cracked the lid a bit and set the first wooden collar (now diamond plate) on fire when I dumped a big bag of B&B lump in all at once and lit it. I destroyed it when I stuffed it full of oak branches and let it rip.

So the lessons I have learned are:
-Take it easy with the fuel, and let the UDT come up to temp gradually

-Use lump charcoal. B&B works great, but I would like to get my hands on some Lazzari tandoor grade to try it out. Shipping is prohibitive, and I can't find it anywhere locally.

-I need to learn how to take better pictures of naans.

Can we see some pics of your planter cooker?

[carp... I think I have hijacked my own thread ]
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote