View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #147
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I totally understand your point about the convenience. Heck I have all the tools I want, welder too, but I think in my case I would have rather bought the PDC instead of the UDS way. I mean just the stuff we do to get over the toxic stuff and exterior paint is a big hassle and thats before we build it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I designed the Meat Mama 3000 I went to a shop and looked at a 500 gallon tank made of 12 gauge steel. It was 600. I decided that 320 to have Ulastic steel roll me a chamber and cut the sides was a good idea. I spent AGES welding the seam, and ends and it really would have been better and as it turned out cheaper to just buy the tank, then spend more money on a thicker steel firebox and spend my time welding those two together.

So, again, do you want to spend time cooking or designing and tweaking. And how much money is wasted testing it. Which yes, can be half the fun. But you should be testing your rubs and glazes not the equipment. The high heat powder coat and never used drum themselves are worth the money to aviod the hassle.
That reason alone is more than enough to buy one that's ready made. I'd go this route VS having to remove a dreaded red liner!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote