Unread 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoseph74 View Post
Hi,

I posted yesterday about a smoke hollow smoker. I just can't seem to justify paying $600 for a grill I've never used and no one has ever heard of. I have a $600 budget and want something nice and big enough to cook for a large group. Can I get some recommendations?
How large a group and what do you want to cook? I can fit two 8-9 lb butts on one rack of my 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) and could probably do double that (eight butts) on a 22.5. That's a lot of pulled pork! If brisket, I could fit less. On my 18.5 I can fit two racks of spares per rack and can fit a third rack. Same with back ribs. Either require some trimming to fit though.

For $600 you could get two 18.5 WSMs or one 22.5 WSM (new price) and the 22.5 would leave you with money left over for accessories like remote reading thermometers, charcoal chimneys and a decent apron. It's hard to go wrong with a WSM.

Edit: If kettle... There are two listings for Ranch kettles in the Chicago area on CL right now in that price range. (One for two kettles.) Talk about feeding a small army!
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote