View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So do you consider yourself a pitmaster? Probably to a degree, yes, but I pretty much learn something new most every day. Frankly, the more I know, the more I realize just how little I actually know.

When was it that you became one and how? Becoming one isn't like turning on a light switch; one minute it's off (your not a Pitmaster) and the next minute it's on (you are). Mastery is about bringing to bear knowledge and skill, which are learned over time, trial and with it comes ERROR, success and failure, and paying attention and learning from both those successes and failure. I started failing :-) back in the early 80's...

Was it winning a competition or at some other point? MANY a great BBQ Pitmaster has never competed. Competitions are for guys who enjoy games. Competitors who win know that it's about more than just being a BBQ Pitmaster, it's about understanding "the game" and competing in "the game", in addition to being a fan-damn-tastic BBQ cook and a Pitmaster.

This said above, I do think that the skills learned and brought forth that are needed to compete effectively and win can carry over when making BBQ for other people, whether in restaurants, catering, or in just preparing large meals for friends.