Originally Posted by Skidder
Just wondering why all this extra work? It's super cool but.....
I like access and adjustability. Starting the fire and dropping it in from the top and not being able to make any "adjustments" if needed is not a good idea too me. With a standard UDS, you have to remove your grates, meat, thermos, etc. if you need to get to the fire. Big PIA IMO.
1. Start the fire outside, slip it through the door. Easy.
2. If there is any adjustment needed for the fire, simply open the door and access the fire basket.
3. Need to add chips? Open the door, pull out the basket and add.
4. Need to stoke the fire, open the door, pull out the basket.
5. Too hot? - Pull out the basket.
6. Need to add charcoal or bring the heat up fast, simply open the door.
7. Clean out, open the door and wash out.
I have the time, tools and skills, why not? This feature makes the UDS a simpler, convenient and more practical smoker to me with access to the fire basket at any time.
This is my 5th BUFORD build and the adjustability and functionality is awesome.