Hopefully, I've been around to make this request without offending. I'm a frequent visitor to Q-Talk. My reason, first and foremost, is to learn something new, to be inspired, and to celebrate food victories with friends. A general request: It would really help me learn something new and be inspired if when posting you could:
1) Include the recipe, rub or sauces used.
2) Tell us the approximate time and temp the cook took.
3) Tell us how it turned out!
1) Is because people here make amazing stuff and I often want to duplicate the results. No recipe makes it kind of hard to be a copycat. If you're making a recipe that you've found here on the Brethren or else where; include a link. I understand top secret family recipes and will make the exception, but don't make it a habit!
2) Is because this is critical information needed to be a copy cat and to be able to plan when to put the meat on the smoker.
3) Is probably the most frustrating thing for me. I've seen some crazy things posted, and it seems like people never tell us how it turned out. I remember a post by our resident mad scientist that was one of his crazy throwdown entries. The photos looked amazing, but I couldn't imagine how it tasted. I asked, and the reply was sheepishly that it wasn't very good. Ha! No shame in that. We're here to share the journey, however it turns out.
p.s. Tell us what smoker you used if it isn't in your sig, or if you have multiple smokers and it isn't clear which was used from photos.
p.s.s Please use the RoadMap thread.
This is one of the first places I look when trying something new. Please add great, unique posts to it that you think should be saved for all time.
p.s.s.s Notice I didn't say anything about the photos or videos. Reading the book behind the cook is often better than watching the movie.