View Single Post
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbc01 View Post
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Hows the construction? Do you see it being around in 30 years or so, or will be on the side of the barn ready to be scrapped.
What model Hasty Bake are you considering? Like Jeanie & Marty above, I own a HB Gourmet model with a dual finish (powder coated base & stainless top). IMO, the construction is good and I can picture mine lasting 30 years if I properly care for it. I do keep mine covered and out of direct contact with the elements so I think I have a fair shot at it. Keep in mind the warranty isn't anywhere near 30 years but there are folks that have HBs that old.

Now what I don't think has any shot of lasting 30 years is the HB galvannealed heat deflector. It is kind of thin and is subjected to intense heat.

Like Jeanie & Marty, I use mine mostly as a grill, done a little baking on it, but don't particularly care to do a long smoke on it as I have other cookers that can handle long smokes without reloading lump.

I only know a little about Meadow Creek cookers (from what I've read) but it seems like those who own them have good things to say about them. I like the thicker wall construction (13 gauge vs 18 gauge on a HB). They look pretty heavy duty. Not sure about their warranty. I think you can cook a little longer on a single load in a PR36 than a HB. Reloading a HB is pretty easy, I just don't care to do it if I don't have to.

What are you looking to do most of with your cooker? Grill or smoke?

Perhaps someone with a Meadow Creek PR36 can chime in and tell us about their cooker.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->