Thread: Uds question
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
is one Smokin' Farker
Join Date: 02-05-09
Location: Seattle, WA

Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
If I had it to do over, I would do something like Bludaug's. You can look inside the valve to see exactly how far open it is.

Mine you have to stick your finger in the valve hole to feel how far open it is.
I use a 3/4" ball valve to regulate air. I can tell exactly where the ball opening is by the angle of the handle. After a few cooks, I know within a degree or two (of arc, not temp) where to put the handle to get 225F. Don't know why you'd need any more than that.

To the OP, I totally concur with the sentiment of extend the handle, not the intake pipe. I wouldn't want my air intake vertical anyway, lots of times I smoke in the rain and wouldn't want rain falling down the intake. Or BBQ sauce. Or chunks of charcoal. Or anything.

seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->