Thread: Turkey Brine
View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Never tried adding bourbon to a brine, but I really don't know why you couldn't. Bourbon flavor is great, so why not?

The only thing I notice about the recipe is that the salt to sugar to water ration seems off to me, at least according to most brines that I've seen. Of course the soy sauce is salty too, so perhaps it will work out. Still, with the amount of maple syrup and brown sugar, there's a lot more sweet than salt. Just something that jumps out at me. Plus, since you're only using a gallon of water, it's a really strong or concentrated brine.

A simple/typical brine ratio is 1 gal water, 1 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Yours has a lot more sugar than salt. It's really the salt that's the most critical ingredient in a brine because the salt is what chemically affects the protiens.

Here's a great article on brining, which has a simple brine recipe:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

Only way to know for sure is to try it and adjust from there. I'd just hate for you to find out at Hanukkah dinner that it didn't work is all. How long do you plan to soak the turkey? I usually brine turkeys for 18-24 hours. I'd be wary of brining for that long in such a concentrated brine as you have there.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote