View Single Post
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You would think it was an Italian dish, from the name, but it is actually a San Francisco dish, with Mediterranean influences. There is a longstanding Italian neighborhood in San Fran. I'm sure that influenced the dish.

If you love fresh seafood, cooked quickly and naturally, it is a fantastic meal. To me, it is a summer meal. It is a meal I like with a good, crisp white wine on a summer evening. That and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

It is just the right time of year for you.

CD
Most of that neighborhood is gone, called North Beach, it was the heart of the Italian community. It originally anchored the northern shore of the City, from the Presidio to around Pier 33 or so. Most of the docks in that area, whether fishing or freight were run by Italians and Portuguese. On the southern end of that, were the produce markets, as Italians ran those as well. At one point, up until around 1970, the heart of fine dining and fine food ran through this part of the City. I think it is still one of the best places to wander if you love food, there is simply not a bad place on Columbus or for blocks around.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->