View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
I was thinking of cold smoking if I used pink salt. Maybe 4 hrs. Thanks for all the tips on the ratios and letting everything equalize. I'm definitely trying this one again!!
Yes, some pink salt is an option if you are going to do a combination of cold smoking and drying. We can nail down the ratio.... but I believe it is 2t to 1T of pink salt per cup of salt, then there is sugar, spices etc., added too.

A second option is Gravlax which is cured without using pink salt, and is not smoked. It has some aromatics and often fennel or dill tops are layered in during the curing.

A third option is Nova lox. It is cured and cold smoked. There are several recipes and I just published my latest revision of this classic cold smoked salmon. I don't use pink salt in this one, but I do a double cure (dry and wet). I tell you what, I'll start a separate Nova lox thread.... the timing might be good for the holidays anyway. Here is some of my Nova lox next to some cured and hot smoked salmon.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->