Thread: pulled chicken
View Single Post
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I just did a bunch of pulled chicken last weekend.

I always just do whole chickens. I can find them pretty regularly for less than $1/lb, so I end up with a whole 5 lb chicken for about $5. I usually yield about 2 lb of pulled meat from 1 5 lb bird.

I brine the chickens in a basic brine (1 gal water, 1 c kosher salt, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1-2 TBS whole peppercorns) for 5-8 hours.

Then I just apply plenty of seasoning in the cavity and on the skin. I usually don't do a bbq rub, but more of a "general" poultry seasoning. I like Weber's "Kickin Chicken" or Garlic & herb seasoning. Sometimes I just do a nice simple kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder too. Since I eventually pull off the skin I don't see the need to blow through a bunch of expensive rub. I've even been buying a big shaker of Lawry's "Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning Blend" that I've found at Sam's.

Then smoke them at 350 smoker temp until done (usually takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours) or 155 IT breast and 170 IT thigh, take them off and let them rest for at least 30 minutes and put them in the fridge.

Later (when cool enough to handle) I remove the skin and pull all the meat off the bone. I SAVE THE JUICES that are always in the pan I put them in the fridge in. Once I pull all the meat, place back into the drippings/juices, add a little more seasoning/rub and mix it all up.

TADAAAA.....pulled smoked chicken.

Always turns out great. I like the mix of white and dark meat.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote