View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #43
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess I'm a little late to the party... I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except to offer up a cheap (but very nice for the price) hand made Japanese wa-Santoku for anyone wanting to try something new. The knife brand is Tosagata. I own one of these in a nakiri shape and it is one of my favorites. They come razor sharp and can be easily maintained by using a CrO charged leather strop. The blade is hand made from three layers, the center is Japanese white carbon steel (shiro-ko) hardened to about 63 rockwell, and the sides are made from softer iron in kurouchi style. It's a hell of a knife for under $40...

This is the 6" Santoku...

And here's the link for the best price (there's no picture on this site, but this is the correct item)...

And here's a pic of the Tosagata Nakiri that I have...

And the link to where I bought it...

As cheap as they are, these knives are serious cutting instruments. The edge is super hard and super sharp, and they are not stainless. So, they require a higher level of care than other kitchen knives you may be used to. But, the reward for the extra care is in the use of them... They cut wonderfully!
Mike Trump
President & CEO, Oakridge BBQ LLC

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
26" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->