With Christmas looming, and my parents coming to town from Colorado for a 10 day stint to visit and spend time with their grandkids, I wanted to make them something special for Christmas Eve dinner. A USDA Prime prime rid.
I am hoping to gain some knowledge on a prime rib on my Vision kamado cooker.
I have never done a prime rib before on a smoker, bbq, etc. And as you can imagine, with the cost of a USDA Prime prime rib, a couple practice runs are not in the budget! My local Costco is stacked with them right now, and I plan on picking one up this weekend, freezing it, and making it on the 24th.
1. A nice bark on it. My rub will be pretty basic prime rib rub. I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary.
2. A very nice, warm, juicy & pink medium rare center.
So here goes my questions. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions and add your response.
1. Boneless, or bone in? Im leaning towards boneless, only because of the ease in slicing once done. Will the bone in be better?
2. What temp to cook at? Low, slow 225-275ish? Or would you all consider something higher? 300-350ish?
3. What temp to cook it to? I was thinking cooking it to 125 and then resting and slicing at 135 for a nice medium rare? Or would cooking to 120 and slicing at 130 be better?
4. Method for cooking in smoker. Do you put it in a shallow roasting pan like an oven bake, or set it on the rack like I do pork shoulder, brisket, etc? And if on the rack, do I use a water pan on top of my ceramic deflector?
5. Direct or indirect heat?
6. Lace with butcher string while cooking?
7. Last but not least, what wood to use while cooking? I have the lump for the cooker, just need to decide on a wood. Oak is coming to mind, or maybe hickory?
Thank you all in advance for any help possible. I really want to make a great meal, but unfortunately I cant do any practice runs due to cost of the meat. I know its a bit of a gamble, but with all the great stuff I have read around here, I know I can get it right the first time. I have all my sides vectored out, so Im all good there.
Im new around here and mostly read, so this is really my first posting looking for help. I will post pron once made so everyone can see my efforts.