View Single Post
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
The big challenge with green wood is that it has a lot of moisture or sap still in the wood. This causes it to burn at a lower temp, usually resulting in a thicker, heavier smoke...unless you have a really good bed of coals to burn it on which usually means that you're cooking in the 350* range to have it burning clean enough. It's not the only way to do it with green wood, that's just the way I understand it.
Depends on the cooker.

I use green wood on my offset, and with a HOT fire in the firebox (well in excess of 350F above the fire), I get a nice stream of 250F smoke across the meat.

This past Thanksgiving I made the best Turkey ever (according to the rave reviews), using a 1/2 bag of charcoal as a base fire, I cooked the bird for 5.5 hours on nothing but partially seasoned (cut this past spring) peach wood.

The smoke flavor was delicate & consistent throughout the bird and rivaled some of the best smoked turkeys I've ever eaten.

Don't be afraid of green wood. Experiment with it until you get it right.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote