View Single Post
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
retired trucker
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I grew up thinking you had to "mop and slop" your Q to cook it so it would have taste and not be dried out. When it was finally done, the cook was "done" also. Usually to the point that he had to sit at a table by himself, or eat outside.

After researching and reading this forum, I discovered Fatties, (Who woulda thought something called a "fattie" would be edible? Why would you want your smoke to be thin and blue instead of smoking like a diesel truck with a bad injector? Why would you burn your food up, cooking it above 225 degrees?

And then, I discovered the UDS, and agonized over not getting to peek at the food every 10 minutes. Surely you can't cook something for 8 to 10 hours without looking at it, or expect it to not be dry as shoe leather when you take it out.
And what is this about "resting" your meat after cooking it half a day? I am the one needing to rest after worrying about whether or not it will be edible. The people waiting to eat are ready to eat NOW!

Why would you use different wood flavors to cook with, a burning stick is a burning stick, right? Who cares what the temp is at the grate level, or even more the temp of the meat you are cooking. We never worried about all this 50 years ago when I started cooking over these new fangeled Briquets.

Just some thoughts to ponder....

Omar

Thanks from:--->