View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #58
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

How much are the new smaller probes? I will probably wait until spring before I buy one, I dont BBQ during the winter.

As you can see in post #47 in the second picture, I have my Dog and Maverick probe right beside each other, they are not touching anything and they are both placed as far from the heat source as possible. The Maverick is held by its stand and the Dog is held in place by a lime cut in half.

My first cook the variance was just as bad but I wanted to reserve my judgement until I did some test. The ice water and boiling water test proved to me that the probes do read proper temps but for some reason they just wont sync with my Maverick.

The only conclusion that I could come to was that the larger probe held heat longer, especially at higher temps, it takes quite a while for it to cool down compared to the Maverick. If the temp difference was static between the two (i.e. always 25F off or always 50F off) then this wouldnt be much of an issue. The issue is that the variance can range from 1F to 50F at any given time, that margin of error is too large for me and I need a better solution.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote