Thread: Finishing rubs?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Smoking Guns makes one, called Gun Powder. My understanding is that it is the same rub, just ground finer. The finer grind is to give better coverage from a small amount and to hide it so it isn't visually seen. I think you want the same profile as already on the meat. This is common in competition cooking. It gives a blast of flavor to each bite. This is very common in comps.

I have occasionally sprinkled regular rub on my pork after pulling. I typically don't do this though. it all comes down to how much you want to wow people and how much effort those little incremental improvements are worth to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Smoking Guns has Gun Powder which is really good. Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.
Yep, thumbs up on Gunpowder, and I have not tried the ones from Big Poppa. I do a super fine grind on one of my homemede rubs and jokingly call it "gold dust". I also do a super fine grind on Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust and use it as a finishing rub too.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote