View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Try experimenting with other lump. The KJ charcoal is, in reality, Wicked Good. Although a good lump, I kind of prefer the Lazari oak for the last few years. I get larger pieces and not so much fines in the bottom. When I note a drop in long cooks I also use the ash tool and give a couple pokes to the grate from the draft door, usually works just fine. Then again when doing a long cook, I make sure and really clean it out beforehand.
KJ has a North American blend and a South American blend, so it may just be one of the blends that is causing the issue. The bags are printed the same, but made of a different material. Was the bag the traditional craft paper texture, or did it look/feel a little like a synthetic material? The traditional is North American, the latter is South American.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote